Cutting the cake is one of the significant moments shared by the bride and groom during the entire wedding. This is their first activity as a husband and wife. It signifies a commitment that in whatever they do, they are in it together. As they feed each other a slice, it represents faithfulness and trust. Thus, the wedding cake itself symbolizes their love for one another.
Here are five (5) simple steps on planning the right wedding cake for you and your hubby.
Step One (1). Do a research. Consider the following.
- Budget. How much is allotted to spend for the cake? Is it enough for a two-layer, three-layer or would one-layer do? Will it be shared to the guests as well?
- Overall look and appearance. Seek inspirations over the web, or magazines. Would you opt for a traditional or non-traditional one?
Step Two (2). Begin the local baker search.
- Quick reminder: before you do this step and start looking for a local baker, confirm first if your catering service in the Philippines offers cake as part of their package. In this way, there won’t be any unnecessary cost on your end.
- Transportation. First consideration is how will it be transported. The nearer the bakery is to the reception, the better.
- Recommended list. Come up with a list of experts in baking around your area. You can ask your catering guy in Manila if he/she knows someone.
- Book early. Give your pastry chef an adequate time to perfect your wedding cake.
Step Three (3). Taste it.
- Do the cake-tasting with your fiancé. This is to make sure that both of you agree on and enjoy the taste.
- Add your personalities in the flavor. Associate the flavor with something about the two of you. If you met in an Italian restaurant, maybe a French cannoli filling will help remind of your first date. Do not choose safe flavors. The tendency is, it would be forgettable.
- Do not try too many in one sitting. It could be overwhelming to your taste buds, not to mention your tummy.
Step Four (4). Customize.
- Style and Color. Based on the inspiration, style your wedding cake. What colors would you use, would it match your wedding dress or is there a specific theme like Star Trek perhaps, if both of you are Sci-Fi junkies.
- Cake Decors. Put in ribbons or candles. Real flowers may be cheaper too. Do not overdo.
- Topper. Stick not to the generic bride-groom topper. Be creative and wacky.
Step Five (5). The Main Event.
- Time your cake-cutting. It could be early so that all eyes are on you or it could be done the usual method, before the end of the reception program.
- Place it prominently. Display the cake where everyone can see and appreciate.
On the next post, learn how to find unique ideas for your wedding cake.