This is a simple checklist to keep your head in the game. Preparing ahead of time is key to pulling off anything. Don’t sweat the small stuff and make sure no details are missed on during the big day. Continue reading
“I don’t like food that’s too carefully arranged; it makes me think that the chef is spending too much time arranging and not enough time cooking. If I wanted a picture I’d buy a painting.” – Andy Rooney
Planning an event is one of the most exciting yet overwhelming times one can experience. The success of the event is a reflection on how capable you are in organizing and coordinating things. When initiating an event, planners need to think about the flow of the program, theme, some people to attend,and don’t forget the food – it’s one thing most attendees are waiting for. While others would rather go for a snack, many event planners and organizers prefer hiring a catering company.
There will always be advantages when you hire a caterer. Most companies have catering packages that offer not just coordinating with the reception timeline and the flow of the dinner but, in most cases, they will also supply the needed tablewares. On top of your priorities, there’s no pressure when it comes to food. However, just because you decided to hire a catering company, that does not mean you’re done. There are crucial things to consider when choosing the right catering company for your event – this is to ensure that attendees would be satisfied with their services.
Below, we list down some questions to ask and consider before you choose and hire a catering company.
Who am I meeting with?
The basic question you need to ask – who you need to meet and talk with regards to the overall process. As a planner, you need to determine whether you are meeting with the owner of the company? A manager? A representative in the sales department? Do you know the owner of the company in person? Knowing these questions would give you an idea on how to approach such person to work with you for the entire event.
How will you run this event?
The next question you need to think about is what kind of event you are planning? Is it a formal event? A party style event? This will determine how the food will be served. Moreover, don’t forget to ask a similar question to the company. Although it is not your job to tell the caterer on what to do, at least you know how the catering staff will be operating during the event.
What other services do you offer?
Apart from the main course, a lot of catering companies offer desserts, some have licensed bar services, and there are even companies that offer you a venue where you could have a rehearsal dinner. Availing their deals or packages is not only convenient on your part, but you can also have it in a less expensive than purchasing other services from different companies.
Can you provide me with a broken-down cost estimate?
For most event organizers, unless if needed, spending too much is a no-no. As much as possible they would find a way or alternative on how they can pull things off in an affordable way. That means, when it comes to the cost, you need to be skeptical enough to make sure there will be no hidden cost. Know how much you need to pay for the labor, set-up/breakdown, and anything that involves you paying.
What is your leftover policy?
Some catering companies are strict when it comes to the leftovers. If a catering company does not allow you to take the leftovers, then you are only paying for what your guests ate. Moreover, make sure to ask whether you can wrap up the food for you to take home after the event.
As the event organizer or planner, it would take you some time to think about the crucial things to consider when hiring a catering company. You do not want to ruin a good event just because you’re not satisfied with the food and their services they offer. Again, the success of the event would determine how you manage and organize things.
A majority of your expenses will be solely focused on the wedding catering during your big day. And your disbursements will largely depend on how many guests you have invited to your memorable affair. If you are planning to host a rather lavish dinner complete with a food and wine buffet–some cocktails on the side with hors d oeuvres, chances are you are going to be charged rather exorbitantly but regardless of whether you are turning your wedding dinner into a grand event or not, wedding catering fees are going to be relatively pricey.
However, there are ways to curb these needless expenses, so before you contact your caterer take a look at this article and look for ways on how to have a great catered event while staying within budget.
1.) The presentation is key. People are very visual creatures and more often than not, they feast and eat with their eyes first, so zero your focus on the presentation of your food. Invest on unique plates instead of intricate serving trays as this will add a twist to your food presentation without having to foot a hefty catering bill.
2.) Being on a budget does not necessarily connote being miserly and cheap. This is your big day after all. For appetizers, instead of scrimping on the total costs by using commonplace cocktail food such as carrot sticks and cucumbers, opt for broccoli flowers and artichoke hearts cut in various unique shapes, sizes, and other creative choices. Give it a tasteful twist by adding an array of flavored dipping sauces.
3.) When it comes to rather expensive cocktail food and appetizers, opt to hand pass them rather than setting them out in a buffet for guests to freely serve themselves. In this way, guests are least likely to overindulge and have less wastage as well with the leftover food. Additionally, it helps you account for the cocktail food by serving only a portion per guest.
4.) Have themed stations at a buffet such as an Asian station or a Mexican station. The ingredients for a simple noodle dish are affordable, and Mexican fajitas and nachos are relatively cheap. It would look like you have invested a lot while you are still sticking to a budget.
5.) Save carving stations for the main course. Carving stations during cocktail hour (such as ham, pork loins, etc.) are impractical as it leaves guests feeling heavy and full making them skip out on the main meal and doubling your cost and causing food wastage as well.
6.) Serve seafood based soups in small mini cups. Clam chowders, lobster bisques or any flavors of any variety could be served at weddings for a minimal price if you served them in cups rather than have them sitting at a buffet station for guests to serve themselves.
7.) Skip the cheese platter from your cocktail menu. Hors d’ oeuvres are typically served before the main course and while guests wait for the entourage to arrive but cheese platters are often typical and predictable. Not to mention they are quite pricey, and no one is likely to pay them any attention. Skip this and serve little tea sandwiches instead.
8.) Ask your caterer beforehand which seafood are likely to be in season during your wedding day. In this way, you are likely to save on the cost as there is an abundance of supply in your choice of seafood.
9.) Consider serving family-styled dishes and forgo a buffet if budget is tight. In this way, each table gets served equal portions without having to worry about food going to waste which will help you and your wallet.
10.) For your wedding toast, consider skipping the champagne. Guests can similarly toast to you with whatever drinks they have in hand (and similarly allows those too young to drink to toast to you as well). Alternatively, you can look for cheaper alternatives in ciders and sparkling wines instead.
Serving a wedding feast does not have to be expensive if you know how to cut costs. Follow some of these tips to enjoy a sumptuous wedding meal without having to break the bank and leaving your guests satiated as well.
It is every bride’s dream to have a smooth and organized wedding. The trick behind this goal lies on proper planning and execution. Whether you’re moonlighting as an events organizer or you’re already a pro in the field, here are four (4) tips to remember in planning a successful order of events.
1. Consider the catering location. Know the requirements, their basic DOs and DONTs when you do the booking and create timing.
- Preparation. Can you come in advance and do the preparations? Up to how many minutes do they give allowance so you can ready everything?
- Distance between the nuptial venue and reception. For instance, if the ceremony will be performed in a Pasig church and the dinner party will be at an over-looking scenic spot in Antipolo, you may need to think about the duration of travel in between two districts plus the possible traffic the guests may encounter along the way.
- Closing Time. How long can you stay after the whole affair is over? It takes about 30 to 45 minutes after the newlyweds bid their goodbyes before everyone can completely leave the area. Some may mingle first, others may need extra moments to gather their belongings or several of them may want to coordinate with friends for transportation assistance.
- The groom and his lady. How long will it take for them to reach the function – ten minutes, fifteen, twenty?
- Attendees. As soon as they arrive, do you have something in store for them while they’re waiting for the couple? How will you keep them entertained? Who’s going to attend to them? Do you meet and greet each?
- Photographer. Does he have a special lighting required at a specific time of the day? If it’s a garden wedding, would he need the husband and wife to proceed directly to the swing perhaps as soon as they come in to capture a certain feel?
- Catering Services Crew. Are they enough or do you need extra help from the entourage on particular tasks? How long will it take them to serve all the food? Is there an exact hour for the cake arrival or will it be delivered beforehand?
- DJ and the band. What’s the game plan? Do they sing live continuously? How many songs will they be playing?
3. Decide whether it’s going to be a traditional timeline or custom-made. Although it’s been a practice to stick to traditions, the wedded pair may have different views about it. Hence, consult their preferences. Would they opt to have dance breaks in between events to erase boredom or monotony?4. Expect the unexpected. If the occasion entails an outdoor gathering, there’s always a chance that the weather may become erratic and unpredictable. On the same note, if it’s indoors, power interruption may occur as well. Thus, have a back up plan in case something goes wrong.
Cutting the cake is one of the significant moments shared by the bride and groom during the entire wedding. This is their first activity as a husband and wife. It signifies a commitment that in whatever they do, they are in it together. As they feed each other a slice, it represents faithfulness and trust. Thus, the wedding cake itself symbolizes their love for one another.
Here are five (5) simple steps on planning the right wedding cake for you and your hubby.
Step One (1). Do a research. Consider the following.
- Budget. How much is allotted to spend for the cake? Is it enough for a two-layer, three-layer or would one-layer do? Will it be shared to the guests as well?
- Overall look and appearance. Seek inspirations over the web, or magazines. Would you opt for a traditional or non-traditional one?
Step Two (2). Begin the local baker search.
- Quick reminder: before you do this step and start looking for a local baker, confirm first if your catering service in the Philippines offers cake as part of their package. In this way, there won’t be any unnecessary cost on your end.
- Transportation. First consideration is how will it be transported. The nearer the bakery is to the reception, the better.
- Recommended list. Come up with a list of experts in baking around your area. You can ask your catering guy in Manila if he/she knows someone.
- Book early. Give your pastry chef an adequate time to perfect your wedding cake.
Step Three (3). Taste it.
- Do the cake-tasting with your fiancé. This is to make sure that both of you agree on and enjoy the taste.
- Add your personalities in the flavor. Associate the flavor with something about the two of you. If you met in an Italian restaurant, maybe a French cannoli filling will help remind of your first date. Do not choose safe flavors. The tendency is, it would be forgettable.
- Do not try too many in one sitting. It could be overwhelming to your taste buds, not to mention your tummy.
Step Four (4). Customize.
- Style and Color. Based on the inspiration, style your wedding cake. What colors would you use, would it match your wedding dress or is there a specific theme like Star Trek perhaps, if both of you are Sci-Fi junkies.
- Cake Decors. Put in ribbons or candles. Real flowers may be cheaper too. Do not overdo.
- Topper. Stick not to the generic bride-groom topper. Be creative and wacky.
Step Five (5). The Main Event.
- Time your cake-cutting. It could be early so that all eyes are on you or it could be done the usual method, before the end of the reception program.
- Place it prominently. Display the cake where everyone can see and appreciate.
On the next post, learn how to find unique ideas for your wedding cake.
It seems that big events are becoming very common nowadays. From big splashy weddings to grand flashy first birthdays, the trend seems to be the bigger, the better. However, a big event comes with an equally big bill which is why sometimes it is more reasonable to just have a small and simple event instead. The tendency for big events has made finding a venue in Makati City for a big event quite easy. What people actually struggle with nowadays is finding a good venue for a reasonably small event. If you are planning a small event soon and would like to have it in Makati, below are some good venues you may want to consider.
- Hotels. Aside from Manila, Makati is probably the city that has the most number of hotels in it. Whether the hotel is a luxurious five-star hotel or a quaint inn, chances are it has function rooms that you can rent for your event. The good thing about hotels is that you can ask them to handle the catering as well so that you do not have to look for catering in Makati. You can also discuss other hotel services and promos you might be able to avail of such as discounted room rates for guests or participants of your event.
- Condominiums. Makati is also home to numerous condominiums or apartment buildings. Many of these buildings have function rooms or areas that you can rent. However, some condominium buildings require that you are a resident of the building or that you have an endorsement from a resident.
- Galleries. There are some small galleries in Makati that you can rent for your event. Galleries are perfect for events that involve a lot of mingling around. Cocktails are often part of the menu for events held in galleries.
- Restaurants. With the number of restaurants in Makati, you will surely find one that suits your requirements for your event. If the restaurant is small enough, you might even be able to request the exclusive use of the restaurant for a particular duration. Bigger restaurants, on the other hand, often have separate areas that you can use for small gatherings. It is also not unheard of to use at least an area in a restaurant bar or club for various celebrations.
The key to finding the perfect venue is by being clear with what you want and focusing your search to those that fit your requirements. With the more than an adequate number of potential venues in Makati, you will surely find one that will help make your event a success.
Themed weddings and destination weddings have become increasingly popular the past few years. Many brides-to-be and grooms-to-be prefer that their wedding details are focused towards a particular theme that they have chosen. Among the most popular themes and destination for weddings is a beach-themed wedding or a beach wedding.
A beach wedding is very appealing to those who want a more casual and relaxed wedding. The view and ambiance is often enough to make the hassles of inviting guests to the beach location worth it. For those who cannot have their dream beach wedding for whatever reason, a well-planned beach-themed wedding can easily recreate the ambiance of an actual beach wedding. Below are some tips that can help you whether you are planning an actual beach wedding or simply a beach-themed one.
- Load up on beach stuffs. Do not be shy in loading up on beach-related items. Incorporate as much beach-y stuff as you can in the décor such as shells, sand, slippers, and beach toys. For as long as it is beach-related, you can easily find a place where you can put it.
- Serve good food. Although some couples choose to serve any dish that they want, there is no reason why you cannot get a catering service in manila that can customize a beach-themed menu for you. You can serve seafood and light snacks as appetizer. Make sure to specify with the catering service to keep their decorations beach-inspired.
- Keep things light. One of the things that characterize the beach is keeping things light so make sure that you apply this on your wedding details. This includes the wedding attire and wedding makeup. Better to wear a beautiful but light wedding dress that will make it easy for you to move around especially on the sand.
- Early notice. This is particularly important if you are planning to have a beach destination wedding. Make sure to inform your guests early, preferably in your save-the-dates, to allow them to prepare for your wedding logistically. Also, be aware that if you choose a destination wedding, some of your guests might not be able to attend so manage your expectations.
- Use music. Another thing that could greatly influence the ambiance of your wedding is the music. Keep the music light and breezy to keep up with the beach theme. Acoustic music is perfect for this kind of wedding.